4000 Elmwood Ave. [MAP]
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 873-6500 | F (716) 873-3247
West Guide Map| East Guide Map
Mount Olivet Cemetery began with the purchase of 50 acres of land on Delaware Avenue by Father Francis F. Kelly of Ascension Parish, North Tonawanda, in 1908. It was intended to serve the people of the northern suburbs. By 1923, Father Kelly had purchased an additional 62 acres.
Bishop Charles H. Colton consecrated the cemetery on Oct. 11, 1908.
The first mausoleum project of Catholic Cemeteries took place at Mount Olivet. Holy Family Mausoleum, dedicated by Bishop Edward D. Head in September 1979, graces the central mall of this cemetery.
Located in the Town of Tonawanda, Mount Olivet serves as the administrative office for the Catholic Cemeteries of Buffalo. There are over 50,000 burials in the cemetery. There are still 12 acres of undeveloped land for future cemetery use.
Bishop William Turner is buried here near the old chapel as are many priests of the diocese. There is also a monument honoring Bishop John A. Duffy, seventh bishop of Buffalo (1937-1944).
The favorable location on Delaware and Elmwood Avenues has many Buffalo area Catholics turning to Mount Olivet in preference to older cemeteries.